Amaroun is the performance name of Jay Brown. As well as a performer of Kaleidoscopic pop music, she also runs an event in London with a friend under the name of GATU. Find out more about Amaroun.
1. What is your artist name?
2. How would you describe what you do?
My name is Jay Brown, I’m a producer and songwriter, and Amaroun is my latest project. I would describe Amaroun as a cross between Erykah Badu, PJ Harveyand Feist. I make kaleidoscopic pop music.
3. How long have you being performing/working?
I've been performing and working in music for over 10 years
4. What has been the highlight of your career to date?
I loved playing Glastonbury, being playlisted on Radio 1, supporting Bastille on their UK tour, working in the studio with Stephen Street (he produced loads of Blur albums, The Smiths). I can say I’m grateful for the people that I've worked with, and who have supported me.
5. Have you worked/performed for/with anyone famous?
You don’t kiss and tell. (*Cough, Ed Sheeran)
6. If you could perform/work with anyone, who would it be?
I would love to work with Damon Albarn.
7. What is your guilty pleasure?
I try not to feel guilty about anything but I know what you mean. My ‘guilty’ pleasure would be Grey’s Anatomy
8. Tell us one secret about yourself.
Once when I was 15 on a school trip in Spain I had a crush on someone and overheard they really wanted San Miguel. I thought this was a person and got really upset. I was actually really down for a hours and kept it to myself. I later that day that San Miguel was a beer. They just wanted beer. Ridiculous
9. How and why did you get into this profession?
I just kind of stumbled into it. I've always had a natural love for performing and making music, so it became my profession I turn transitioned naturally. Surrounding yourself with people that inspire you helps a lot.
10. When you're not working what do you like to do to chill out?
I hang with friends, create different projects, write poetry, eat well. Writing songs is my way of chillin out too.