Female trio from London and Brighton, with their own brand of 'indie-folk-pop-noir'. Their 2nd album 'Bloom in the Dark' is out on 14th December - available on CD Baby, Amazon, iTunes etc.
1. What is your artist name?
2. How would you describe what you do?
We write and perform songs which are mainly short stories about interesting people. These are often dark tales veiled behind pretty harmonic tunes and some searing lead guitar!
3. How long have you being performing/working?
4. What has been the highlight of your career to date?
Performing at Manchester Pride 2011 - it was amazing. Took us 9 hours of hideous traffic to get there but it was totally worth it!
5. Have you worked/performed for/with anyone famous?
Yes! Before Smiling Knife were formed, we were Pop Eyed Dolls - 'Ava Hartman' from EastEnders AKA Clare Perkins was the lead singer. Justine was also the drummer in Coronation Street's 'Jamie Baldwin' AKA Rupert Hill's band Shepherds Pi. Smiling Knife want to work with OITNB or Wentworth Prison as we'd make a great jail house band.
6. If you could perform/work with anyone, who would it be?
7. What is your guilty pleasure?
Female prison dramas; but you'd guessed that right?
8. Tell us one secret about yourself.
If left alone at a piano, Beverley goes into a trance like state and plays 'Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy'. She has no memory of it afterwards and we don't talk about it.
9. How and why did you get into this profession?
Quite simply a love of making music - it's in our blood. We are life-long friends and the music is a massive part of the bond we have. Being in a band is also extremely therapeutic - spending time just focusing on creativity coupled with lots of laughter is nature's best stress-buster. Justine is also a TV and film composer.
10. When you're not working what do you like to do to chill out?
Play open mics - it's a great way to make new friends and share a beer. Hang out on the beach in Brighton whenever the sun shines!
Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/smilingknife